Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Vodka Frosting
A novel approach to a perennial favorite, they are hauntingly delicious. These cupcakes are a great addition to a grown up Halloween party - the icing is enhanced with vanilla vodka. They are so good it is scary!!!
- Barbara Esatto, The Chocolate Goddess
½ cup Unsweetened Hot Cocoa
½ cup Boiling Water
1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoons Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon of Salt
¾ cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs
2 teapoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Sour Cream
½ cup Vegetable Oil
15-18 Double Stuff Oreos® to line cupcake cups
Vanilla Vodka Cookies & Cream Frosting:
8 ounces Cream Cheese
1 stick (4 ounces) Unsalted Butter
1 pound Confectioner’s Sugar
3 tablespoons Vanilla Vodka
¾ cups ground Oreos® (about 8 cookies)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Place cupcake cups in muffin tins.
- Bring water to a boil and add cocoa, stirring until dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Place sugars in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, vanilla, oil and sour cream and combine well.
- Add chocolate and flour mixture alternately.
- Place a tablespoonful of batter on bottom of cupcakes cups. Place Oreos® in bottom of the cup. Fill ¾ full with batter.
- Bake for about 18 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes and remove cups. Frost cupcakes when fully cool.
- Let butter stand out at room temperature for about 30-30 minutes.
- Crumble Oreos® in food processor.
- Beat butter, add cream cheese and combine well. Add vodka slowly to spreading consistency.
- Fold in crumbles - or if you prefer, divide frosting and reserve some crumbles for garnish