Now that there is a chill in the air, The Chocolate Goddess feels the intrinsic need to invent and try new recipes. A fabulous idea popped into my head and I had to try it out right away. I immediately ran out to get the ingredients, for the thought of it needed no deliberation - I knew it would be delicious. Imagine a stack of pancakes separated by delicious layers of cannoli cream with candied citron and chocolate chips!
Just use your favorite pancake mix or recipe from scratch. Make sure you use whole milk in the batter. The Goddess believes you use any and all ingredients that will make it delicious, just eat mindfully and don’t overindulge. It is a great Sunday morning recipe for company.
Gather your ingredients for the pancake mix and the cannoli cream. Prepare the cannoli cream first and reserve. Make your pancakes - in between batches, keep them warm in the oven at 250 degrees.
Your favorite Pancake Mix. Mix enough batter to make 20 pancakes if you are serving 4 people.
½ cup Heavy Cream
15 ounces of Whole Milk Ricotta
4 ounces Mascarpone Cheese or Cream Cheese
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
¾ cup Confectioner’s Sugar
1/4 cup chopped Candied Citron (extra for garnish)
1/3 cup Chocolate Chips (extra for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees or Keep Warm Setting.
- Make cannoli cream. Using a blender first; slightly whip cream to very softpeaks. You won’t have to strain the ricotta, this needs to be more of a spreadable consistency than traditional cannoli cream intended for piping.
- Add ricotta and incorporate. Add sugar, vanilla and mascarpone or cream cheese. Fold in candied citron and chocolate chips. Set aside and chill in refrigerator. This can be done the night before.
- Make pancake batter and heat griddle. Make pancakes and keep warm in oven between batches.
Layer pancakes alternately with cream batter, top with a dollop of cannoli cream, and garnish with extra chocolate chips and citron. Serve with your favorite real maple syrup and a cup of cappuccino!
- Barbara Esatto, The Chocolate Goddess