New Year’s Resolution- Kitchen Safety or What I Learned From My Cracked Ribs
Yes, I cracked some ribs on Saturday, right before our Christmas/Holiday Family Party. I was rushing around at warp speed when my rubber soul got stuck on water on the floor and my head hurdled toward the granite countertop. I threw myself to avoid a concussion and crashed into it with my ribs instead, knocking the wind out of myself. I was instantly in excruciating pain.
The doctor said as long as I am breathing well the lungs are not punctured and I shouldn’t even bother going through a painful X-ray. I definitely had all the symptoms necessary to diagnose cracked ribs. They don’t tape ribs anymore because the tight tape constricted lung function and people got pneumonia. It will be a 6 week recovery period.
I can walk but bending, twisting and turning are painful. Driving is out, so my husband took me to the nail salon! I let out a yelp every time we hit a little bump but the gesture was appreciated. I have to sleep in a sitting position.
Lesson learned I am never going to rush again. After I fell down the stairs a couple summers ago I mindfully go slowly when going down stairs since I am so petrified of falling again. It seems to take a major incident for me to get more Zen about life, take things slowly, and carefully, but that is the last time.
This accident compelled me think of other things we should all be careful about in the kitchen to avoid accidents. There are so many things to be mindful of and I thought I should list some as important reminders to you and me. No one of us is exempt from accidents.
1. Be mindful of and wipe up all water and oil spills immediately, and don’t rush around in the kitchen. Clean up slippery food particles as well and don’t use scatter rugs that can make you slip.
2. Keep kids and pets out of the kitchen.
3. Never where loose clothing that could catch fire. Wearing a loose fitting robe with baggy long sleeves to make breakfast could be very dangerous.
4. Never put sharp knives in a sink with water so that you cannot see them when you reach in. Keep knives sharp side down in dishwasher. Know how to use knives properly.
5. Pot handles should be turned in.
6. Never wear jewelry that could catch onto pots.
7. Keep a cover handy to cover grease fires. Keep flames low, never allowing them to extend up over the sides of the pot.
8. Make sure you own and can operate a fire extinguisher. Read the directions now before a fire.
9. Keep paper towels, towels, pot holders and mitts away from the stove top. Make sure stove and oven are off after cooking anything. Check again before you go out.
10. Always puncture or peel back plastic covers before microwaving things and never cook eggs in shells. Very important, do not overheat liquids as they can bubble over onto your skin like a volcanic reaction when you touch the sides of the cup and cause severe scalding. Heat all liquids in small increments of time.
11. Do not make your pot heavier than you can handle when boiling water of liquids.
12. Know how to operate all your appliances and do so carefully.
13. Keep your foods fresh by covering and refrigerating promptly and throw things out after two or three days.
14. Keep your countertops disinfected.
15. Disinfect your sponge by washing it in the dishwasher and change frequently.
Now we can start fresh cooking safely this year. Share your experiences and safety tips. Remind your family and friends about safety – BE Goddess.